McLaren unveil the McLaren MP4-26 F1 single seater
The McLaren Mercedes F1 team unveiled today in Berlin, Germany their 2011 F1 single seater, the McLaren Mercedes MP4-26.
Revealed at Berlin’s Potsdamer Platz, the famous public space that sits on the fringe of the old Berlin Wall, the MP4-26 was built up by dozens of Vodafone competition-winners, fans and customers carrying components into the arena, where the new chassis was gradually pieced together in front of a huge crowd.
This culminated in our McLaren Mercedes drivers – 2008 world champion Lewis Hamilton and 2009 world champion Jenson Button – assembling the very final pieces to reveal the completed racecar.
Looking radically different from last year’s race-winning chassis, the McLaren MP4-26 features a range of aerodynamic features designed to take advantage of new rules significantly limiting the amount of downforce that can be derived from the car’s underbody.
These most notably include distinctive U-shaped sidepods – to feed air more efficiently to the car’s rear-end – and a drag reduction system (active rear-wing), introduced for 2011 to increase the potential for overtaking
Beneath the skin, the car houses an all-new electric KERS (hybrid) system. McLaren Mercedes, along with its engine partners Mercedes-Benz HighPerformanceEngines, became the first-ever Formula 1 team to win a grand prix using a hybrid device in 2009, and this new system is expected to further refine that race-winning package.
McLaren-Mercedes MP4-26 Technical Specifications:
- Chassis: McLaren moulded carbon fibre composite incorporating front and side impact structures.
- Front suspension: Inboard torsion bar/damper system operated by pushrod and bell crank with a double wishbone arrangement
- Rear suspension: Inboard torsion bar/damper system operated by pushrod and bell crank with a double wishbone arrangement
- Electronics: McLaren Electronic Systems. Including chassis control, engine control, data acquisition, dashboard, alternator, sensors, data analysis and telemetry.
- Bodywork: Carbon-fibre composite. Separate engine cover, sidepods and floor. Structural nose with intergral front wing Driver-operated drag reduction system (active rear wing)
- Tyres: Pirelli P Zero
- Radio: Kenwood
- Race wheels: Enkei
- Brake calipers: Akebono
- Brake master cylinders: Akebono
- Batteries: GS Yuasa Corporation
- Steering: McLaren power-assisted
- Instruments: McLaren Electronic Systems
- Paint solutions: AkzoNobel Car Refinishes using Sikkens Products
- Type: Mercedes-Benz FO 108Y
- Capacity: 2.4 litres
- Cylinders: 8
- Maximum rpm: 18,000
- Bank angle: 90°
- Piston bore maximum: 98mm
- Number of valves: 32
- Fuel: ExxonMobil High Performance Unleaded (5.75% bio fuel)
- Spark plugs: NGK racing spark plugs specially designed for Mercedes-Benz F1 engine
- Lubricants: Mobil 1 – combining greater performance, protection and cooling with increased economy and lower emissions
- Weight: 95kg (minimum FIA regulation weight)
- Type: Mercedes-Benz
- e-Motor: Engine-mounted electrical motor/generator
- ESS: Integrated energy storage cells and power electronics
- Power: 60 kW
- Gearbox: McLaren-moulded carbonfibre composite. Integral rear impact structure
- Gears: Seven forward and one reverse
- Gear selection: McLaren seamless shift, hand-operated
- Clutch: Carbon/carbon, hand-operated
- Lubricants: Mobil
Images © McLaren Mercedes